I-65 CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT PLAN
This page details the improvement projects for I-70. Most of the projects include widening the interstate, pavement rehabilitation and interchange construction.
Interstate 70 is the main artery crossing the center of the state of Indiana. Serving Indianapolis and traveling to large metropolitan areas like Baltimore, Pittburgh and Columbus to the east and St Louis, Kansas City and Denver to the west. this road has a very high amount of traffic due to being a transcontinental route linking east coast cities like Philadelphia and New York to west coast cities like Los Angeles. During peak congestion periods traffic along this route can slow significantly. In more rural areas this translates to a 20mph drop in travel speeds below posted speeds. and stop and go traffic in urban areas. Many recent projects have addressed congestion in the urban areas, however additional improvements are needed statewide to make this highway safer and friendlier to interstate commerce.
ADDED TRAVEL LANES POST ROAD To STATE ROAD 9
THis project originally would have added one lane each way to I-70 from Post Rd to SR-9 near Greenfield, but has since been reduced in scope. Now the widening project will only bring the additional lanes to the section between Post and Mt Comfort Roads, bringing the total to 6 lanes. This reduction in the scope is dissapointing, because the constrution will still rehabilitate the pavement in this section, and it makes sense to take this opportunity to widen the lanes as originally planned. Certainly budget constraints are hard, and cost can be cut, but it may make wideneing the section later far more expensive. They have the opportunity to do road work now, and tehy should at least prepare the lanes to be widened in the future, to reduce the future construction costs. The additional lanes to SR-9 will have to be added at a later time.
ADDED TRAVEL LANES STATE ROAD 9 to STATE ROAD 3
Will add one lane each direction from just State Road 9 to State Road 3 near New Castle. This project timeline and funding is unknown.
GERMAN CHURCH ROAD INTERCHANGE
This project will construct a new interchange at German Church Road and I-70. The design of this new interchange is unknown, but likely to be a Diamond interchange due to the limited right of way and homes constructed south of the freeway. a 2 quatrand cloverleaf or partial cloverleaf design could be used but additional Right of way and road realignments would be needed. The best design for this interchange would be a single Point Urban Interchange. This interchange could be built between 2016-2020. (Source: IndyMPO)
CORRIDORS OF THE FUTURE
A corridor study to evaluate the addition of truck only lanes to I-70 accross Missouri, Illinios, Indiana ans Ohio. This is a long range project, and if ever built would provide a super-corridor for truck travel much like the super-corridors planned in Texas.
VISIONS FOR INTERSTATE 70
- This freeway should be widened to 6 lanes minimum throughout the state of Indiana.
- All pavement should be replaced with high endurance Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) to maximize life. Harsh winter weather and traction control devices cause a great deal of damage to the roadway surface.
- Interchance ramps should be modified to allow traffic to decelrate after they have exited the freeway. Deceleration on the main lanes causes delays and can contribute to accidents.
- Dotted lane markings should be used to delineate thse lanes that are exiting the freeway (exit only lanes). This is being done in a number of states and helps people distinguish auxiliary lanes from the main through lanes.
- Terre Haute - Widen to minimum of 8 lanes from SR 46 to the state line
- Indianapolis - Widen to minimum of 8 lanes from I-465- to the new German Church Interchange.
- Increase mento speed limits in Indianapolis to 65 MPH and to 55 MPH in the downtown chute. The lower speed limits are overkill. This can be accompanied with photo enforcement.
Back to Top
return to the Project Page